Old 20-06-2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Pump power vs. pipe diameter

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:09:48 CST, "Anon" wrote:

until I get the inclination to redo the rockery. Another advantage to that
would be that I could switch the waterfall off at night. I have been worried
what the neighbours might say about the noise! What do you think?

I'd ask them, most people like waterfall music. ;-) It's frogs croaking
they might get upset with.

Also, I would be interested to hear what diameter pipe people commonly use
for connecting pumps to waterfalls in a pond of my size (about 1400 imperial
gallons) or is it just a case of using the biggest they can find?
Thanks again.
Jay.

Depends on the flow, but for your size pond which is close to mine, 1.5
inch - 3.81 centimeters is what we used.

I was surprised when DS was digging for the buried pipe we put on the lily
pond, 1.5" looks so BIG, when you're imagining the smaller irrigation size
pipe. Currently he's found the pipes and attached the big ball valve to the
outlet pipe coming from skimmer and bottom drain. Last night he was out
marking levels with the water level. So it is progressing slowly, since one
has to work around computer business, shopping for parts and the heat....
which thankfully hasn't been too bad.... yet. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us