Old 21-06-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill Rose Bill Rose is offline

Default coyotes disappearing?

In article .com,
jcomeau_ictx wrote:

I haven't heard any coyotes since sometime in midwinter here in
southwestern New Mexico. Other people are remarking on this too, so I
don't think it's usual; does anybody have a plausible explanation?
I've heard only one rumor regarding this, that some ranchers have been
leaving out food for the coyotes laced with some kind of sterilization
drug; and I got that rumor third-hand.

It could just be that this year's babies are still too young to go out
hunting, so the mamas are home in the den and only the older males are
fetching the food... but would that explain no yelping at all? And the
rodent population, especially that of rabbits, seems way larger than
usual.

Any insights appreciated -- jc

. . . some ranchers have been
leaving out food for the coyotes laced with some kind of sterilization
drug;

? Here in costal northern California the sheep ranchers leave out
poison. I guess that is a form of birth control.

- Billy

Billy
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum