Old 20-06-2007, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Rose question

Sam writes
wrote:
I have a new Phyllis Bide rose which is blooming nicely in its first
year. However, about halfway up the plant it has thrown out a long
soft shoot with reddish brown leaves, which looks more vigorous than
the rest of the plant. Is this normal growth or should I cut it?
Thanks for any advice

If it is below the graft then it is the stock and should be grubbed out,
otherwise the vigour will not reach the rose.
If it is above the graft then it is the scion, and should be cultivated.

IME shoots from the stock tend to be green - they don't have the red
colour.

But you can usually tell from the leaves - usually more leaflets, and
smaller, if it's from the stock.

--
Kay