Old 21-06-2007, 12:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default Bugs

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:31:19 -0700, McGerm
wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I did my reading: two books on organic
gardening, and one on garden pests and control.

Yes, I have a massive Squash Bug (Anasa nistis) problem. My garden
site... actually my whole yard is part of my problem. Our property sits
next to a field that was used for years to grow pumpkins. Add to that
my garden sits next to my shed and not too far from the neighbors
virtually abandoned barn; adult squash bugs over winter in and under
structures, yeah.

As of last week the squash bug nymphs were suck the juices from
everything there were even punctures on green tomatoes. I hit then
with Pyrethrin...oh the slaughter. But virtually nothing kills the
adults (Sevin may work) so I will have to keep spraying all summer.
It looks like the farmer planted pumpkins this year...may the squash
bugs will migrate the 50 yards and go bug him instead of me.

Do not use Sevin when the flowers are open as you will kill
pollinators. It is possible to clamp the flowers closed and carefully
dust around them and then open them.

READ THE LABEL!

John