Old 21-06-2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default Question about irises

Hmmm... checked it out - looks good. I just need a careful balance
between sucking up the muck and sucking up the tiny fish.

Our intake is at the deepest part of the pond (7') inside a 5 gal
bucket that has as many 1/2" holes in it as we could drill. The many
holes reduce the pull through any one of them and close out anything
over 1/2". Muck goes in, but nothing else. The pump is designed to
handle anything under 1/2". If the holes were 1/4" it would keep all
but the tiniest fish out. Once a year, we net out the larger-
than-1/2" muck that gathers by the filter intake. As Jan noted, an
intake at the lowest point makes the pond self-cleaning.

Jim