Old 21-06-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lilah Morgan Lilah Morgan is offline

Default favorite plants

Charlie wrote in message

Man, I love lilacs. Wonderful fragrance. During bloom time we keep
vases of them all over the house. I grew up with them and five years
ago returned to the home place and dug enough to put up a thirty foot
screen of them.

This year was set to be a fine bloom, and then that two week killer
cold hit us and destroyed the forming bloom buds.

Next year, I guess.

Charlie

We had a late 2 week snowstorm here too, but the lilacs are used to the late
frosts and such here, so they still bloomed. I saved some of them blossoms
and dried them to make lilac water to sell as perfume at our stand. Just
waiting to get the right containers before I make the lilac water. We've got
1.2 acres here, somewhat of a rectangle shape(the 'front' of our property,
the side that faces the street, starts out rather narrow, then widens as it
gets to the 'back'), so maybe more of a trapezoid? I can't remember geometry
crap...I repressed everything school-related. Anyways, the long sides, about
1/2 to 2/3rds of the fence is all lilacs, came with the property, as did the
wild roses, strawberries, cherry/apple trees. I can't stand all the pine
trees though...having to constantly rake up the needles and pick up the pine
cones(and I've seen them knock down big ass branches on their way down...I'm
afraid one of these days I'm gonna get brained by a falling pinecone). I
want oak and sugar maple and a weeping willow tree, etc...NO PINE TREES! NO
MORE! Been picking up after them for 4 years....