Old 21-06-2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Caterpillars on my Dill

In article , Charlie wrote:

I'm curious. Maybe I'm the only one to have done this. I smell a lot
of things, I mean I sniff things.

The Black Swallowtail catepillars, when gently touched, poke out their
antennae, or whatever they are called, get all kinds of defensive and
leave a smell on your finger that is really .......pungent.

Have you done this, and does the Anise Swallowtail react (and smell)
this way?

Care
Charlie

Self-defense against predators. :-)
Those antennae things exude a nasty tasting (and smelling) substance.

No, I've never tasted it!

Monarch butterflies are also toxic and will make birds sick if they eat
them. It teaches them to avoid brightly colored things.

Toxicity seems to come with bright colors in some animals. The poison
arrow treefrog is a perfect example.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.