Old 21-06-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
steve auvache steve auvache is offline

Default Disappointing strawbs

In article , Zlata Roi
writes

strawberry
perpetual varieties

They are just coming into fruit and both the taste and texture are, to
put it mildly, extremely disappointing.

I'm more inclined to ditch the lot and
start again.

I would be inclined to agree.

And if I do decide to dig the whole lot up,
what other varieties do people recommend.

Yes but I cannot remember the name.

Two years ago I came across 4 rather unhappy plants in a garden centre
of a variety claiming to be a novel cross between a perpetual and a
normal variety. The novelty value was said to be the red/pink flowers
and in a moment of madness I bought them. I had the devils own job
getting them established and lost three of the original plants but now I
am eating from maidens from last years runners. They come up very
slightly smaller than proper strawbs with a fine flavour, nothing wrong
with them at all.

As they are unique in flower colour they should be fairly easy to find
but if keeping them alive is going to continue to be an issue it is back
to Cambridge Favourite for me next year.

--
steve auvache
Sunny Essex