Old 21-06-2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner William Wagner is offline

Default Bugs

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:49:55 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

The balance issue is true. This year our garden is seeing hardly any
baddies. I have had to pick a few cabbage loopers off the brussels
sprouts is all. The bush beans are clean, the zuchs are clean, the
cukes are clean. No flea beetles this year.....yet, and hopefully not!

Charlie, I thought that Brussels sprouts were a fall crop. What the hell
you doing planting them going into summer?

I just know I'm gonna hate the answer. Come on. Lay it on me.

Double cropping, old son. One crop in early as possible in the spring,
another in the ground late summer for fall harvest. I have sprouts as
large as a fingernail and growing well. We use them fairly small, not
the size of the monster frozen ones you get at market.

Usually get good results. This year I tightened up the spacing and so
far they appear to be handling the "crowding". They, like the bush
beans have formed a solid canopy, a living mulch, that keeps the ground
under shaded and moist and cooler.

Think biointensive. As one crop is harvested and done, it is replaced
with another. I'm learning the whatfors and howtos as we go along.

A surprisingly small amount of space can produce an amazing amount of
produce.

Lots of cool season crops can be planted on both ends of the growing
season. Serious cold snaps and frosts can be avoided with mulching and
row covers, etc.....though some tolerate, and may improve in flavor
with a light frost.

I have been seeking, and finding, varieties of, oh, say cukes and
melons, that are more heat and drought resistant. Planted some true
lemon cukes that are supposed to take the heat well, along with mexican
Sour Gherkins.

Oops, went a little over on that answer.

Charlie

Here Frost date is Oct 15 Last frost May 15 if lucky

July 4 100 days till above

Frost tender

85 days Snap Beans by July 25
97 days Corn by July 4
86 days Cucumbers by July 25
110 Days Tomatoes By June 25
81 Dayss Squash by Aug 1

Iv'e got Survive Light Frost and Survive Heavy Frost if anyone
wants me to type it. Stuff from Organic garden Mags early on.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade