Old 21-06-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lardman Lardman is offline

Default privacy screening

"K" wrote in message
Lardman writes
Im a little suck with this one so any help would be useful.

I sympathise. New neighbour has done the same to us over a 150 ft length.
OK, our privacy and security barrier shouldn't have been on their side,
but it would have been polite to have told us what they intended.

It amazing just how exposed it makes you feel isnt it - I'd say there was no
more than 1-2 foot of tree growth at the back but It really did fill things
out.

I think the first thing you need to do is erect a fence on the boundary so
that he can't reach over to prune. Looking at it from his side, he's
probably fed up of growth from your side over his garden, and was trying
to lengthen the gaps between his prunings, so a fence would also help to
prevent growth on his side.

There was already one there -This caused another problem a while back.
although as they are higher than us anyone taller than 4 foot can look right
over it.

And remember, he's now lost some of his privacy. Can you spend a lot of
time until you get things sorted pottering around that bit of the boundary
(and just happening to look in his direction)? ;-)

Unfortunaltely they are not of an age where peace and privacy are an issue.

The usually recommendation is to cut it back quite heavily after
flowering. Otoh, if cutting a mock orange (or any shrub) back really
heavily, it's suggested you spread it over a number of years. But I think
you'll be OK.

Im getting that feeling from the group that it actually looks worse than it
is..

Lard.