Old 21-06-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Anon Anon is offline

Default Pump power vs. pipe diameter

Ok. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'm going to need to
dismantle the rockery and path, although the very thought makes me sweat. I
think I'll do it at the end of summer when the plants are dying off.
Jan, you are right about the 1.5" pipe looking huge. I foolishly thought
that I might be able to get away with laying it on the surface of the
rockery and teasing a few plants over it! Don't think so!
When I do take the rockery apart to bury this pipe is there anything else I
should do whilst I'm at it? I'd hate to do it and then have to do it again
at some later date.
Jay

"Anon" wrote in message
I've recently bought a pump and biofilter for my pond. The pond is about
1400 imperial gallons and is heavily stocked with fish. I've positioned
the biofilter above the waterfall which is about 6ft above the water level
and about 10 metres away from the pond, the waterfall lip is about 18
inches wide and is connected by a stream. I bought a Yamitsu 12000 solids
handling pump and a Green2Clean 24000 filter which, in theory should both
be more than adequate for this pond. Unfortunately when the pond was built
they used 18mm internal diameter pipe to supply the waterfall from the
pond. As a result the flow at the waterfall with this pump and biofilter
is not much more than a trickle. I have run a 38mm pipe between to test if
this makes a difference and it is much more acceptable. However, the
original pipe is buried in the ground under the pond, stream, rockery and
waterfall, and changing it for wider pipe would be an absolutely mammoth
task that I would prefer to avoid at all costs.
My question is: would getting a more powerful pump fix this problem? I
have had differing advice at several pond stores. Some say that the more
powerful pumps produce massive volumes of water but not a lot of pressure
so would still struggle to force the water up that diameter pump. Although
at one store I was told that narrower pipe is better as it creates more
pressure than wider pipe.
I would very much appreciate your comments and advice.
Jay.