Old 22-06-2007, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Sodium Chlorate - how long to work?

Ohhh Horsetail! That is endemic at teh front of our properties [a
terrace] it gets all amongst thh garden area and I keep pulling up what
I can, but is there a better way to deal with it that won't kill
everything else in site?? That includes a camomile path between teh
beds.

--
Beryl

Someone on this group once suggested you can get rid of it by mixing some
glyphosate and putting a small amount into a plastic bag, then putting the
bag over the horsetail - bruising it a bit through the bag. Leave the bag in
place for a few weeks to allow the poison to get down to the roots. Seems
like a good way of hitting selected weeds without killing off nearby plants.
Another suggestion I read was to wear a fabric type glove over a rubber
glove and wet the outer glove with glyphosate, then grasp and slightly crush
the weeds you want rid off, taking care not to touch other plants.

David.