Old 22-06-2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Ginger

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
Maren Purves wrote:

Steve Newport wrote:
Anybody grow ginger in the UK?

If so, how?

I stuck a sprouting tuber in a rised bed and it just died!

may depend on where in the UK, even in June.
Ginger is a tropical, and while I have seen it warmer in
Edinburgh than it ever gets here in Hawaii it's few and
far between. Ginger goes dormant here in winter, that doesn't
mean it's dead even if it looks it. I'd keep it in a wide
planter, give it a good amount of sun as long as the weather
cooperates and a well protected spot and move indoors if the
weather forecast talks about lower 60s (Fahrenheit, about
18 Centigrade.) or below.

Hope this works out for you. Fresh homegrown ginger is much
better than anything you'll get in a store.

Aloha,
Maren, in Hilo, Hawaii
Palms, Etc.: Tropical Plant Seeds - Hand-made Jewelry - Plants & Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/

Thanks, Maren. Someone just gave me about 15 ginger roots.
I'm going to plant a few for houseplants, and eat the rest!

If you have any really good recipes for whitefish (halibut or
gray cod is what I have) and ginger, or a recipe for ginger beer
or tea, I'm all ears...

Best Fishes,

Jan in Alaska

Freshly grated ginger goes best with a bit of garlic imho.
And a gentle application of Oyster sauce. ;-d

Or lemon if you don't want a very strong flavor.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.