Old 30-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Jill

Default Are Datura Harmful to Hens? Any Other Plants to Avoid?

"Kelrosie" wrote in message
Thats a good question. What is harmful to hens??

Rosie.

"Andy" wrote in message

Does anyone know if Datura are harmful to hens? I was planning on
getting my sister one as a present but she keeps hens. She'd probably
manage to keep the birds away from it but one might get through.

I'm not sure I like the idea of a flock of wildly hallucinating hens
all frothing at the beak.

Are there any other plants to avoid? Apart from Henbane.

in general chickens are pretty smart as to what they eat in terms of
vegetation
They are normally more interested in bugs and grubs and seed like things
than stripping green stuff
- remember this was qualitied with the word normally
a selection of those that get the freedom of the garden around here [ a
dozen out of the 700 or so] took aliking to Mum's lilies last year :~(((( -
they were not popular
But in general as long as they have plenty of what they need - ad lib layers
feed; open pasture type ground to scratch - preferably mature shrubs and
trees to investigate under they are not prone to eating poisonous plants
Putrified rodents; rotting compost; slug pellets and occasionally each other
etc - well thats a different matter :~))))
They are definately much more carnivorous than herbivorous given the choice

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk