Old 22-06-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Cato Cheryl Cato is offline

Default Green Pond

wrote:
My backyard pond is failry new (this spring) and the water is always
green. I've tried the chemicals, cleaned the filter and added lillies
and other vegetation to block out the sun. Nothing works! The water is
green as ever, any suggestions?

I had the same problem with a small pond (100 gal) that I have in the
front garden. It's in full sun and stayed green no matter what I did.
I finally consulted a pond expert. We pitched the underwater filter
and went with an external one with UV sterilization. (I went with a
Laguna Pressure-Flo - and sized it about twice the rated size since I
intend to add a water fall soon. I _love_ this filter, by the way!)
After a couple of weeks with the new filter - the pond was crystal
clear. I can actually see my goldfish now!

YMMV

Cheryl
Lyons, TX