Old 23-06-2007, 01:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
Roberta Roberta is offline

Default Tree to grow in courtyard

Thanks for the suggestion about growing a Pomegranate in my courtyard
Richard! That could be a good option. And it ties in with Kylie's
suggestion of growing a fruit tree.

I will do a bit of research and try and find out how invasive (or not) the
root system is. Pomegranate juice is considered to be very good for your
health (can't verify that because I haven't tried it).

Cheers
~Roberta~

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

"Roberta" wrote in message
Good suggestion Kylie! We had thought of planting a LillyPilly, as some
varieties have very nice edible fruit, but they are not deciduous.

One of the deciduous stone fruits could be an option, providing we can
get a variety that can cope with our very hot summers.

Thanks!

~Roberta~

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Roberta Bagshaw" wrote in message
Hi everyone

Recently we had to remove a 2 year old Chinese Tallow (Sapium
sebiferum) tree from our courtyard, because its roots were beginning to
push up the brick paving and were heading towards the house.

We had planted it as we had been told it was fairly safe in proximity
to sewer pipes etc., and also because in our warm climate (coastal
mid-west of Western Australia) it is one of the few deciduous trees
which gives some lovely autumn colour. It can get fairly hot in summer
here, and the tallow tree coped with this very well with the heat.

We need to plant a tree, with a non-invasive root system, which will
provide shade on the east side of the house during summer, and which
will not grow too large. Our soil is red clay - high in nutrients -
and most things we plant grow very robustly - when provided with some
water during summer.

Any suggestions?

~Roberta~

i'm wondering if you've thought about a fruit tree of some kind...? many
of them are attractive (well, attractive enough ;-) and you can pick the
size you want & prune it into the shape you want. and you get fruit!

apparently apricots will actually do much better than they otherwise
would if you box in the roots when you plant it, too.
kylie

I would suggest a pomegranite as they are great.

cheers

Richard