Old 30-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Derryl Killan

Default Gas Edgers: experiences w/stick and walk-behind types

Hi The walk behind edger is very good for sidewalks, driveways. The regular
edgers are great for beds. The secret to using a regular edger is to
sharpen it to a fine edge. Then you can work very fast and be done in a
short time.

Derryl

Usually when I get home there isn't a lot of time for lawn care over the
growing season, so I want a gas edger to make quick work of our sidewalk

and
driveaway, and also one that I can use to maintain manual spade edging
around a long swath of (relatively straight) mulched garden beds that

border
our lawn.

Some of you probably prefer to use trimmers, and some have time to do

manual
edging, but I do not.... Therefore, this is a question for those of you

who
a) prefer a gas edger and b) have used BOTH walk-behind (i.e. 4-wheel)
edgers and stick edgers: Which do you prefer, the stick edger or the
walk-behind? It seems like stick edgers are more maneuverable (which

would
be good for bed maintenance), but walk-behinds are much easier to use to

get
a straight cut and they have more power. I've heard that lighter

varieties
of walk-behinds can be picked up off their back wheels to do gradual
cornering, too.

I know I could go rent these and try them out, but I'm looking for

opinions
from people who have more experience with them.

Thanks!