Old 30-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Steve Touchstone

Default Advice on Sears lawn tractor

It does sound like a great deal. On the other hand, you get what you
pay for. I hear the stories about the old John Deer that is still
running after many years, and doubt that the Craftsman will last that
long.

I've had two Craftsmans, one 15hp that lasted me 5 years and I was the
third owner. It still cuts well, but smokes on a slope that I cut and
needs oil every couple times I mow.

Last summer I bought a new Craftsman with the 17HP Kohler. The one I
have now runs and cuts well, but it was quite a headache getting to
this point. The first mower I brought home ran well, but the blades
engaged on their own when the engine was revved up. The repairman who
came out to try to fix it couldn't figure out the problem, but did
find that the frame was warped and recommended that I trade it in for
a different mower. None in stock, so ordered one and 10 days later
when I went to pick it up found that they ordered the wrong mower.
Eventually got all that straightened out and brought home the right
mower, but had to adjust the deck as it didn't cut level. Since then
I've been happy with it.

Of course these problems may have more to do with my local store, but
next time around I may just spend the extra money for a club cadet or
John Deer. Will just have to wait and seen how well this one is
running after it gets a couple more seasons on it.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:36:12 -0500, Kevin Miller
wrote:

I've had no problems with mine, and I beat on it...

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 04:13:11 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

I am about to purchase a brand new Sears lawn tractor, Craftsman 20HP with a
42" mower deck for $1200.00 (US) It is a Briggs and Stratton twin cylinder
overhead valve engine. I have just less then 1 acre of land, I know this is
much more then I need but sounds like a great deal.

Just wondering if anyone may have good or bad experience with Sears tractors
or the same engine. It is a 6 speed transmission. Sears is having a
special for $1200.00.

Any feedback on this tractor or even any other Sears Lawn tractors would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

--