Old 23-06-2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Carole \(UK\) Carole \(UK\) is offline

Default My fish are dying - please help

Yes - unfortunately I found the 'other' group first - but thankfully someone
called Jim sent me an e-mail diverting me here.

Some sort of branch sounds a good option - although I guess they could
contain sap or something else unsafe ? Don't really want to go the plastic
route as it would look so tacky - even though this is my ornamental pond I
want it to look as natural as possible
Mind you - my greatest concern is for the fish and wildlife, so if necessary
that's what I'll do.

You might be interested to know that I have another pond down in the valley
in my garden (I have an acre of rural garden in Wiltshire UK) - it's a huge
wildlife pond in a natural water meadow. It's not lined with anything -
it's fed from an underground spring,and I've constructed a small damn, so it
overflows along a pebble bed and then into a stream which runs through the
garden. It's a magnet for wildlife of course .
The only unfortunate thing is that most of the year it's a complete sea of
green - 100% DUCKWEED !!!!! Any tips to get rid of that will make me a
friend for life. :-))))

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Carole,
Glad you found us!
Is a much nicer place to ponder pond problems here :-)

I was wondering if you could add something plastic to
help out the newts and frogs (am a critter ponder). I've
also used branches from cherry trees and they worked
for me. You can see them in the picture labeled frog
hunting in my slide show.

k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond