Old 24-06-2007, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Getting rid of Crab Grass

said:

On Jun 23, 12:07 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
said:

[...]

Note: It doesn't kill crabgrass, but I doubt that is
what he has.

Why? I've seen both smooth and large crabgrass all over the place, and it's
readily identifiable by /most/ homeowners. As hot as it's been across the
country, this early, it may be a good bet that their ID is positive. Just
curious as to why you doubt their ID. =)

[borked G2 quoting snipped] =P

Well, we don't know where Jim is located, so if he's someplace warmer,
I guess he could have a noticeable crabgrass problem. But here in
NJ, which is I'd say middle of the road as far as summer temp, it
doesn't become a problem that people usually notice and start asking
questions about until a month from now. Plus he said something about
it becoming noticeable if he lets his grass grow for a couple of
weeks, which implies it's been around already for weeks. Which lead
me to think it's more likely something else, but without a pic who
knows.

Got ya, makes sense.

I'm in 5b/6a, and it's been in the 90's for about a month, which shouldn't
be happening for about another month. My understanding is the weather has
been similar over /most/ of the rest of the country, hence my question. I'm
not used to seeing it (crabgrass) this early, but as I said, it's been
everywhere, so their ID seemed quite plausible. A pic [1] and location [2]
information, would be nice.

[1] I didn't see the original post, only subsequent followups. Checking All
Messages, shows they apparently made one further posts, but not to this
thread (starting a new thread, sigh), and left no clue to whom they were
replying (absolutely no quoting nor references header, sigh). Timestamps
suggest Steveo, and a reference to taking a pic?

[2] A trace of the NNTP Posting Host header has them somewhere north of the
border (Brantford, Ontario, maybe?). You may be correct. =) Also in your
favor, is their lack of ability to keep the thread together, even on their
first reply. These problems, coupled with the fact that they use G2, means
they most likely can't identify crabgrass. =P

--

Eggs

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.