Old 24-06-2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dave Dave is offline

Default ants in parsley

"thistletoes" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 22, 9:44 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"thistletoes" wrote in message

ps.com...

Anyone know why ants would camp out in the upper branches of my
parsely. They try to attack me when I go out to harvest the leaves.
These ants are a bit over 1/8"-4mm approx- long, half red/half black
and real mean.
Deb

If they were bigger, and I knew which end was red, and which end was
black,
and if they raised their abdomens, I might think acrobat ants.
Dave

I looked those up just now on the Web. In the morning, when it is
light I will see if I can identify some of the characteristics. At
the least I will be able to tell which end is red. These seem to like
to nest in the roots of plants - like weeds, so when I pull the weeds
up by the roots, look out! And as I said, they like to camp out in
the top of the parsley. I will report back tomorrow. - Thanks
Deb

The 2nd photo is what I'm used to seeing but larger.
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/entomolog...7/444-287.html

Probably, I'm incorrect as these prefer trees/wood vs. land environment.
Can be as bad a carpenter ants in voiding trees interior and eating your
house. The former, I've seen in many a stressed live oak.
Dave