Old 24-06-2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
George[_6_] George[_6_] is offline

Default Blue Heron

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a
heron come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate
one of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is a
14 foot high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond. Would
putting a small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the heron. He
has been back since this afternoon but he knows where he can get a quick
meal now. I am sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW netting
wouldn't be a very good option since we don't have anyplace to secure it.
Here is a link to a videos of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv I
think you can see why we can't really secure a net.

I've heard it said that herons are territorial and will not come around
when another heron is around. With that in mine, some have suggested
placing a Heron statue near the pond. I'm skeptical of this as I've never
tried it or needed to (though I did have a large hawk visit my pond last
winter, but apparently without incident). But you could try it and see if
it works. Netting is the best deterent, but you said that isn't an option,
so perhaps others here can give you different advice than I have. One
thing that you shouldn't do, of course, is to harm the bird, since it is a
protected species. Good luck.

George