Old 24-06-2007, 11:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Nick Cramer[_2_] Nick Cramer[_2_] is offline

Default Blue Heron

"George" wrote:
"Goldlexus" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
I've heard it said that herons are territorial and will not come around
when another heron is around. With that in mine, some have suggested
placing a Heron statue near the pond. I'm skeptical of this as I've
never tried it or needed to (though I did have a large hawk visit my pond
last winter, but apparently without incident). But you could try it and
see if it works. Netting is the best deterent, but you said that isn't
an option, so perhaps others here can give you different advice than I
have. One thing that you shouldn't do, of course, is to harm the bird,
since it is a protected species. Good luck.

I started with a very lifelike Heron statue by the pond. It was of no
value. I gave it to a friend in Texas, who now has it watching over his
herd of plastic Pink Flamingos in his front yard. Then I got enough garden
"hoop" fence to surround the pond, similar to the left hand picture on the
'borders' page at http://www.gardman.co.uk/asp/product...os_borders.asp,
but taller. They're steel, covered with green plastic. I think I bought
them at Home Depot. The tops were high enough that I was able to attach
bird netting to the top, secured with tie wraps near the bottom. No more
Heron problem. ;-)

HTH

~Semper Fi~