Old 24-06-2007, 11:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Blue Heron

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:56:29 CST, "Goldlexus"
wrote:

We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a heron
come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate one
of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is a 14 foot
high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond. Would putting a
small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the heron. He has been back
since this afternoon but he knows where he can get a quick meal now. I am
sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW netting wouldn't be a very good
option since we don't have anyplace to secure it. Here is a link to a videos
of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv
I think you can see why we can't really secure a net.

My heron scarecrow sprinklers have worked for me.
http://www.aquaticponds.com/Pest%20Control.htm Click on the video. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us