Old 24-06-2007, 11:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Carole \(UK\) Carole \(UK\) is offline

Default Blue Heron

Exactly the same happened to me - no 'visitors' for 8 years and then
suddenly a couple of months ago I got up in the morning and a huge bird was
standing within feet of my conservatory door gazing in the pond. I thought
he's eaten the lot as the water was all churned up and not a single fish in
sight.
It took 2 days for them to start emerging from the bottom of the pond under
the plants (thank God, safe), so they must have been very distressed by the
attack.
I rushed out and got a very good Heron replica which is still standing on
the edge of the pond, but it's not 100% effective as the Heron came around
again although didn't attack. So - I resorted to netting, expecting it to
look dreadful.
However, I got black, very fine netting and stretched it very tightly over
the main pond, pegging it down in the soil behind the rocks - you can hardly
see it. And it works - no more visitations !! I can sleep again at night
knowing my little friends are safe.
It's not necessary to net the waterfall obviously as there's no fish there -
couldn't you do the same thing somehow across your main pond, pegging the
netting behind the rocks ? I used wire 'corners' which I snip off each end
of wire hangers to peg the netting - they make very flexible pegs which can
be pushed into small cracks, they are strong and virtually invisible.

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a heron
come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate one
of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is a 14
foot high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond. Would
putting a small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the heron. He has
been back since this afternoon but he knows where he can get a quick meal
now. I am sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW netting wouldn't be
a very good option since we don't have anyplace to secure it. Here is a
link to a videos of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv I
think you can see why we can't really secure a net.