Old 24-06-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
George[_6_] George[_6_] is offline

Default Blue Heron

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice, I may try some fishing line. That would be
managable with our pond set up. Another question, are there certain times
of day that they may come around? Haven't seen the booger since he nabbed
the one goldfish. The fish don't seem skidish either perhaps it happened
so fast they don't even know there were/are in danger. Also, why on earth
after having these fish for over 3 years did a heron show up.? Never seen
one before today.

A lot of the country is in a drought, so he may have initially been
attracted by the water, then found that there were easy pickings there.

George

"George" wrote in message

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a
heron come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate
one of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is
a 14 foot high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond.
Would putting a small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the
heron. He has been back since this afternoon but he knows where he can
get a quick meal now. I am sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW
netting wouldn't be a very good option since we don't have anyplace to
secure it. Here is a link to a videos of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv I
think you can see why we can't really secure a net.

I've heard it said that herons are territorial and will not come around
when another heron is around. With that in mine, some have suggested
placing a Heron statue near the pond. I'm skeptical of this as I've
never tried it or needed to (though I did have a large hawk visit my
pond last winter, but apparently without incident). But you could try
it and see if it works. Netting is the best deterent, but you said that
isn't an option, so perhaps others here can give you different advice
than I have. One thing that you shouldn't do, of course, is to harm the
bird, since it is a protected species. Good luck.

George