Old 24-06-2007, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Worried about my Aerangis Verdicosa

How long have you had them, Wendy? I had mine probably 2-4 years. I got it
on my last trip to the Santa Barbara area from a reputable vendor. Mine was
mounted on cork. I looked at mine yesterday and it was deaddeaddead. Even
the stalk was soft. So I tossed it. No sign of life.

Harry Phillips came and talked to our society about growing mounted orchids.
His main point was not only the frequency of watering (3-5 times a week) but
also the duration. He says after work he'll go out and water his orchids,
watch all the roots turn green, go in the house, eat dinner, then come back
out and water again, watch all the roots turn green, go back in the house,
watch a little TV, go back out to water again, watch all the roots turn
green, then go back in the house and finish watching TV or whatever. So
they get a long drink. Not that I advocate watering at night. Its
important to realize Harry lives in San Diego where its warmer than here and
I'll bet he gets alot of air movement in his greenhouse/ growing area, too.
So the plants dry.

Watering that frequently I'd be they'd like a better quality of water. (As
you recall watering is my downfall, something I've tried to remedy this
year.)

"Wendy7" wrote in message
news
Kathy, I am wondering if it could be that they need good water, like rain
or RO?
Maybe I will ping Paul Simon, he grows these.
I always check on Andy's culture because we are in the same
area. For most of these Africans, he advocates 3 to 5 waterings a
week!!! Also to let dry inbetween?

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I just lost my Aerangis (speciosa??) to the same malady. So I too am
looking for ideas.

K Barrett

"Wendy7" wrote in message
I am worried abou my Aerangis Verdicosa. The leaves seem to shrivel
then
turn this pinkish
orangy color & drop off. I have lost two other African species the
same
way.
What to do?
They get watered twice a week in this warm weather & reside in my
slightly
warmer intermediate g/h environment.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Cheers Wendy