Old 24-06-2007, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Passiflora passion

In article .com,
La Puce writes:
| Hullo all. Got bitten by the passifloras - a caerulea 'clear sky' and
| a 'Belotii'. We've finished a 6m long pergola all along a south facing
| brick wall with the intention to let the passion flowers climb on it
| with the help of wires. I'm getting mixed advices about soil - loam
| rich but well drain, or sandy but moist, prone to frost but hardy. We
| will have to pot them, we can't plant them. We thought large wooden
| trough - is plastic better? And I suspect terracota is out of the
| question because of the winters, even though I'll mulch them well and
| will protect the roots. We will need to leave them there - we won't be
| able to bring them indoor in winter.

They are fairly tough, but won't survive their roots freezing. They
DEFINITELY need good drainage. Is it really an absolute that you can't
plant them?

I have a P. incarnata - which grows up to Canada, but is VERY delicate
in the UK - by growing it in the rain shadow of the eaves. It is a
herbaceous species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.