Old 25-06-2007, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default First Early Potatoes (Foremost)

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(David \(Normandy\)) wrote:

Lots of shoots means lots of small potatoes, but fewer (or
one) shoot means fewer but larger potatoes.

I left all the shoots on my Foremosts but have the same results as John
- a few very big spuds which are more like maincrop in the kitchen. I
also have a lot of scab.

If this is standard for Foremost, I'm growing something else next year.

You're lucky, this damp weather has sent blight thru my crop of - Accent,
Harmony and King Edwards, all 12 rows. Adjoining allotments, different
varieties, but still blighted. It dose'nt seem to effect the quality of the
spud - although yield is down.
We had blight in 2005, but much later in the season. Within 2 weeks of the
outbreak, we remove all foliage and burn when dry. Just thought I'd share
the good news!!

Bertie