Old 25-06-2007, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Help identifying tree

On Jun 25, 8:48?am, BradH wrote:
Awesome input... I greatly appreciate it.. I have never attempted to
move a tree before.. The trunk is larger than my hand can fit
around.. How would I go about moving it.. I mean... like how far
should I dig out around it, I guess how much roots should I get??
Should I trim it down some before attempting to move it?

Looking at the specs of a mature width of 15 feet... this would be a
real problem with the house where it's at... I was thinking about
chopping it down, but I'd love to move it.. it really is a nice
looking tree.. I'm just wondering if i'd be able to successfully move
it without killing it.. I'll have to get the utilities marked because
I know my gas and water lines run around there... that's the other
thing, it might be easier to cut it down as low as I can, I'm assuming
that would kill it... Thanks Again.

There are machines that can easily scoop that tree out with root ball
intact but it's a big job to dig out that tree by hand, you will
definitely need a few strong backs... and it's in a difficult spot so
close to the walk. But if you have people to help you can give it a
shot. First prepare a place where you will replant it. To remove the
tree you will need to dig a trench all around the tree beginning at as
wide a diameter as the tree crown or as wide as possible... the root
ball will be heavy, you will need help to lift it onto a wagon so you
can transport it to its new location.

Flowering pear is not a very expensive tree but still it would be a
shame to kill it. If you don't feel you can move it then you can
probably leave it there... it looks to me that it's been kept well
pruned over the years... with diligent pruning you should be able to
maintain its present size. And before doing anything check at a local
nursery to determine exactly what kind of tree you have, I'm only
guessing it's a standard flowering pear... it could also be some other
kind of tree, perhaps crabapple, maybe some dwarf/semi-dwarf variety.