Old 25-06-2007, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
BradH BradH is offline

Default Help identifying tree

There are machines that can easily scoop that tree out with root ball
intact but it's a big job to dig out that tree by hand, you will
definitely need a few strong backs... and it's in a difficult spot so
close to the walk. But if you have people to help you can give it a
shot. First prepare a place where you will replant it. To remove the
tree you will need to dig a trench all around the tree beginning at as
wide a diameter as the tree crown or as wide as possible... the root
ball will be heavy, you will need help to lift it onto a wagon so you
can transport it to its new location.

Yeah, I might call to get a quote from a local company to see what the
cost would be to have them come out with a machine... I really need to
get my utilities marked before I seriously consider moving it.. Yeah,
I hate to destroy my grass, etc.. but it is a really pretty tree..

Flowering pear is not a very expensive tree but still it would be a
shame to kill it. If you don't feel you can move it then you can
probably leave it there... it looks to me that it's been kept well
pruned over the years... with diligent pruning you should be able to
maintain its present size. And before doing anything check at a local
nursery to determine exactly what kind of tree you have, I'm only
guessing it's a standard flowering pear... it could also be some other
kind of tree, perhaps crabapple, maybe some dwarf/semi-dwarf variety.

Yeah, I agree it would be a shame to kill.. Yeah, I usually prune it
several
times a year, mainly to keep it off of the house, out of the gutters,
etc.. I
didn't know if I kept pruning it to prevent it from growing if this
would hurt
the tree... glad to hear it probably won't.. Yeah, I really am
thinking it either
a crabapple or a flowering pear.. See, I thought for a while it was a
bradford
pear, but the Chanticleer pictures look more like it with the red,
etc... it does
flower white like a bradford, but not at the same time as my
neighbor's bradfords
do....
Thanks again for more input... It's appreciated..