Old 31-03-2003, 12:20 AM
~ jan

Default leaves ... and more leaves

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:24:21 GMT, Michael Shaffer wrote:
We have a much smaller pond and a net was such a pain. Plus you have to
worry about birds flying into it.

Wrong kind of net, bird netting only works if it can be pulled tight, birds
will avoid it regardless, why it's safe to use on fruit trees. Try window
screening or shade cloth and use boards or pvc (arched or laid flat) to
help support it above the water. (See my website
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/ )

Jeff, regarding covering the pond against falling leaves:

Is money no object? ;o) If money were no object I'd look into those pool
covers that they stretch taunt, course they probably only work if the outer
part of the pond area is mostly level, plus they'd have to put in concrete
footings to hold the spring hooks.

Otherwise you could use shade cloth, but as adavisus pointed out you'd have
to have some way to support it so it doesn't end up in the pond.... but
then again, the leaves would be gathered and removed when you remove the
net, even if it did sag into the pond. Doubtful that would be a one man
job. ;o)

Nurseries and hardware stores carry shade cloth and you can probably order
made to the size you need. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~