Old 25-06-2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default hOW BIG OF PUMP

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:17:37 CST, Kurt
wrote:

I've often wondered about all this. My 1200 GPH MagDrive pump has
basicallly a 1/2 or so stock nozzle (if I remember) I've got it stepped
up to 1" tubing to the filter. The pump was designed for 1/2 tubing.

Aren't they all at this size?

You mean the 1/2" nozzle? No, they're different, but it still helps flow to
put a bigger pipe on whatever size the outlet is on the pump.

OP, I'm surprised no one asked or mentioned head, especially for a
MagDrive. The higher the head the quicker the flow rate drops on these.
Thus, check a flow chart: http://www.justliners.com/suprememagdrive.htm
For every 10' of pipe (and I'd recommend 1.5") count as 1' of head, so
according to this chart if you have 5' feet from surface to top of
waterfall and 10 feet of pipe you'll only get 950/gph.

This may be okay if your waterfall/stream is narrow and the pond is mostly
plants with a few fish. Now if your head is only 3 feet this pump should be
fine, otherwise, imo, go with the 1800 gph.

I'm having this same discussion regarding the lily pond, I'll have less
than 3 feet of head, maybe 2, all in piping. Thankfully I have an old pump
I can test flow with before purchase. My concern is that the skimmer work
to my satisfaction.... DH's concern is I'm going to end up with a pond that
looks like one of those exercise mini pools one swims against the flow, so
all the lily pads are pushed towards the far end. I'd rather throttle the
pump, and he'd rather save the watt$. This saga will continue. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Very informative post, thanks. I can see now how I'm losing efficiency.