Old 25-06-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening
p.k. p.k. is offline

Default Buddleja davidii alba shock colour change

Anthony Stokes wrote:
For several years I have been growing a Buddleja davidii alba shrub
in my garden which each year has produced plenty of white scented
blooms, all white and only white.

To my great surprise this month I observed that some branches are
carrying white blooms while other adjacent joining branches are
carrying light mauve blooms.

What has happened to this shrub ?
Is it possible to get it back to carrying all white blooms in future
years simply by pruning off this year's branches which are carrying
the mauve blooms ?

Anthony ( 30 km east of London )

They sound like "sports" which is how many named form of B.davidii
originated.

Cut them off with a sharp knife flush with the stem they come from

pk