Old 26-06-2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Blue Heron

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:57:14 CST, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

========================
Unfortunately the sprinklers wont work on the snapper turtles, water snakes,
bullfrogs and Kingfishers. If the hose pops while you're gone for the day
or a weekend, expect a large water bill.

Well.... in this particular thread we were not talking about those
critters. So let's not poo poo something that works, just because it
doesn't work for you or your situation. ;-)

As Kathy said in her post, each pond is unique and not every pond is like
mine or yours. Thus when it is a heron or any critter the size of a robin
on up that stands by the pond, sprinklers DO work. I'm sure it goes off
when the Kingfisher strikes, but the bird probably is too fast in dive mode
to be diverted.

As far as the hose popping off, I've NEVER had that happen in the years I
was using a hose. To free up use of a hose though, DS hard piped all my
motion sprinkler connections and put the pipe under ground directly to the
spot I wanted. I've been using 2 of them now between 5-7 years, never a
problem. No different in my mind than running ones automated sprinklers.
And as far as going OOT, one should ALWAYS have a pond sitter anyway.

Now let's talk about the cons of nets:

Ugly, unless it is possible to make it taunt.
In the way, unless one can put it high overhead.
Too low the heron strikes thru and the plants grow thru and get tangled.
If not taunt enough leaves lay on it and droop into the water, gill netting
fish or just polluting the water like a tea bag.
If too high, or any accidental openings, a heron will fly in and walk
under.

Shall I go on? I have some real ponders stories I could share. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us