Old 27-06-2007, 11:53 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Corwell View Post
Hi all,
This plant came up where I had a tomato last year.
I though it as a tomato but guess not.
what is it ?
My guess is that it is Humulus japonicus also called H. scandens, Japanese hop, an invasive weed in much of eastern and central USA/Canada. On first looking at it I immediately thought "that's a hop", but the leaves have far too many lobes for H. lupulus, the agricutural hop. I have found pictures of H. scandens with anything from 5 to 9 lobes on the leaves, so it seems to be rather variable.