Old 27-06-2007, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Echinacea?

On 27 Jun, 11:15, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
I find if I put the requisite fifteen drops (and a few for luck) in about
half a pint of water and then gulp it all at once, as if it were my first
pint of beer of the day, I can't taste it at all.

Uncle! "... as if it was my first pint of the day ..."? When *is* your
first pint then?! Why don't you also try the test below to see if
you're taking the right dose. I'be taken Echinacea for years with
Golden Seal roots (hydrastis canadensis) and I'm convince it works.

Here the science bit .... "Echinacea has in fact been used by America
Indians for hundreds of years. It is native to the North America
Plains, but varieties of the species are now found on most continents.
Echinacea increases levels of properdin, a chemical which activates
the part of the immune system responsible for increasing defence
mechanisms against virus and bacteria attacks. Its anti-bacterial
effect makes it a good herb for treating many viral and bacterial
infections. Echinacea is also an excellent blood cleanser, it helps to
sweep dead cells and other debris through the channels of the
lymphatic system. And dispatches white blood cells to fight the
infection. The best test to determine if you are taking a good, high
strength echinacea is the tongue test. After you have taken the
tincture, the back of your tongue should feel numb or tingly. This
feeling will soon pass, but you know you are using a good quality
product. So when you feel the cold coming on - reach for the echinacea
tincture. It is important to try to take echinacea before the full
onset of a cold or flu to give the best chance of a swift recovery."

No treatment of colds would be complete without Garlic ... but that's
another story innit ;o)