Old 27-06-2007, 09:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_11_] Reel McKoi[_11_] is offline

Default Blue Heron

"~ jan" wrote in message

As far as the hose popping off,

I didn't say popping off. The hose it self splits or "pops". I've even had
expensive hoses split, not just the cheapos from K-Mart. We never leave
pressure on a hose anymore.

I've NEVER had that happen in the years I
was using a hose. To free up use of a hose though, DS hard piped all my
motion sprinkler connections and put the pipe under ground directly to the
spot I wanted.

This is an excellent idea for those with the expertise to it.

I've been using 2 of them now between 5-7 years, never a
problem. No different in my mind than running ones automated sprinklers.
And as far as going OOT, one should ALWAYS have a pond sitter anyway.

I wish we could find a pond sitter. You can't even find teens who want to
make a few bucks anymore. :-(

Now let's talk about the cons of nets:

Ugly, unless it is possible to make it taunt.
In the way, unless one can put it high overhead.

It is in the way if you're the type to enter your pond quote often,
something I don't do. When necessary to enter one of the ponds, we pull the
net back. That takes about 3 to 4 minutes. And no, it's not something I
would want to do once or twice a day.

Too low the heron strikes thru and the plants grow thru and get tangled.
If not taunt enough leaves lay on it and droop into the water, gill
netting
fish or just polluting the water like a tea bag.

This is a problem as some people do pull the net too low. Easily cured with
those dark green garden fences at Wal*Mart. As for polluting the water like
a teabag.... the leaves that fall in with no net do the same thing. Motion
sprinklers don't stop the leaves falling to the bottom and rotting.

If too high, or any accidental openings, a heron will fly in and walk
under.

The net is pulled over the garden fence or whatever the person uses and
secured to the ground. That's how it keeps out the snappers, large snakes,
coons, bullfrogs, water birds and the neighbors cats, dogs and kids. ;-)

Shall I go on? I have some real ponders stories I could share. ~ jan

No need to go on Jan. You never saw a pond "correctly" netted. I can
understand that if you don't have all these predators where you live. Some
of us are coping with a lot more than an occasional heron.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.