Old 27-06-2007, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Sassafras Tree

Hud wrote:
Can anyone recommend a company we can order a Sassafras tree from? We live
in zone 5 Ohio and haven't found any nearby. One reason I want a Sassafras
tree is because it brings back a fond memory of my grandfather (past away in
1980) showing me his tree and giving me a leaf to chew on. It tasted nice.
Does anyone have a Sassafras tree? Ever made Sassafras tea? Any
information anyone cares to share about this wonderful tree is appreciated.
Thanks

Yes, we have a sassafras tree in the backyard. We dry the leaves and
grind them to make gumbo file'. Haven't had sassafras tea in years, used
to be made from the roots of the tree. Read somewhere a while back that
it wasn't considered safe to drink anymore. Don't remember the details.

The only way I know you might find one is find someone in your area who
has one and might have some seedlings coming up, either from the roots
or the tiny fruit the tree makes in the spring. Otherwise a Google
search for "sassafras trees" might show you a nursery that has them.

Many years ago a friend had a huge sassafras tree in his yard that
windstorm blew over. He had it cut into planks and then air dried for a
year. He lined a closet with the planks and it smelled wonderful in the
closet for many years.

George