Old 27-06-2007, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default So much rain!

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in
message ups.com...
David
Fancy an allotment?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8272033...7600198041848/

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Strange place to have an allotment - in the middle of a river?
Joking aside it must be awful getting your lotty flooded. Much damage?
I see on the news that much of the UK has suffered badly and people
have died.
Terrible business.
I've been tracking the rain fall on my rain gauge, hence my original
posting.
According to the forecast the weekend may be bad too. Unfortunately
there is little to be done to prevent all the damage. I'm just thankful
our house and garden are at the top of a slope so we are unlikely to
get flooded.

And it's all down to global warming!

Quite likely, but I suspect no serious steps will be taken by any
governments until the trend is too late to reverse. Be interesting to
know where the next "stable point" regarding the weather will be and
whether it is beyond the extremes of human survival.

I was trying to be cynical!

So called 'global warming' is a con to extract more money from us in
unnecessary taxation.

Alan, while I share your cynicism about Governments and taxation I don't
share your belief that global warning doesn't exist. Governments definitely
make as much political capital as they can out of any situation. As a
consequence it creates disbelief about anything they say.

I have a scientific background and have been following the detailed science
behind global warning for many years. There is an huge amount of evidence to
say it does exist.

http://environment.newscientist.com/.../earth/dn11462

The big question is what is the cause of it? Here too the scientific
evidence points towards it being man made, but this is not a 100% cast iron
certainty. Unfortunately proof in this area is a bit like proving that
playing Russian roulette with a six shooter loaded with a single bullet is
dangerous. "Click" - I'm still alive so strong evidence that it is not
dangerous?
If the cause of global warming does indeed turn out to be man made, then I
don't expect there to be conclusive proof until it has gone so far as to be
irreversible by man. The average man in the street will then blame
scientists and governments for not acting before it was too late.

Until then the belief of the masses will be like the captain of the Titanic
who reportedly said "We are unsinkable".

David.