Old 27-06-2007, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Uncle Marvo wrote:
: this in , I, Marvo, say :
:
:: Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
:: harvesting during late Winter and Spring?
::
:: As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
:: greens would be nice at that time of the year.
::
: Broad beans, one variety of them comes in spring. I can't remember
: whether it's the "long" type, but Google will know.
:
: Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.

Kale, purple sprouting broccolli and leaf beet

Is kale edible? I was brought up on a farm where kale was cattle fodder. It
used to look spectacular in the field - a forest of the stuff taller than
me. The cows used to relish the stuff though.

I've just planted some green broccoli seed but am new to planting this - I
tried last year and it sort of ran to seed and didn't form tight heads. Is
green broccoli Winter hardy or is that jus the purple that will survive over
Winter?

Is leaf beet also called spinach? I used to grow the false New Zealand stuff
back in England but can't find any seed for it here. That used to make a
nice meal or fifty but the Mrs is not keen on it. I tried growing the proper
spinach but it didn't do very well, slow to grow and quick to run to seed
compared to the 'false' stuff.

David.