Old 27-06-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default bringing inside tomato plant or not?

"Kase" wrote in message

"torge conrad maguar" wrote in message
news
Have just been given a tomato plant about one foot high. We have a south
facing garden in north London. Would it make much difference to it, if I
brought it inside the house next to a south facing patio window? If it
would grow better tomatoes I would do it, even though I don't really have
room for it inside. (too many house plants in that location!)

Depends on the variety really. I grow Gardeners Delight in the greenhouse
and in the garden (against a SW facing wall) up here in Manchester, and
both do really well - although I'm convinced that the ones outside have a
slightly better flavour.

I agree about the flavour. I don't have enough room in the greenhouse for
all the tomatoes we want so I grow at least as many outside, have never had
a failed crop (although sometimes it's not as heavy as the more sheltered
ones) and the flavour is certainly better than indoor ones.

Mary