Old 27-06-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 27, 4:30 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Is leaf beet also called spinach? I used to grow the false New Zealand
stuff
back in England but can't find any seed for it here.

I buy my spinach seeds in France, I think they have a larger variety
there than in England. I know you too are in France so what shops
have you got near you that might sell seeds? If there is a problem I
can send you some.

Judith

Judith, thanks for the offer but there are a number of garden centres handy
including L'eclerc, Pointe Verte etc and all have a good selection of seeds.
The one I tried growing was "Epinard Geant d'Hiver", I planted seeds last
Autumn but it grew really slowly. In fact I dug it in a few weeks ago at
only two or three inches high.

Can you recommend a variety?

On the subject of poorly performing veg I also planted some Mache seeds a
couple of months ago and they are still only around 1 inch high and 2 inches
across. I planted lettuce and beetroot at the same time and they are either
large or eaten now!

David.