Old 27-06-2007, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

"steve auvache" wrote in message
In article , David (Normandy)
writes

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
.. .
Uncle Marvo wrote:
: this in , I, Marvo, say :
:
:: Has anyone any suggestions for vegetables that can be planted for
:: harvesting during late Winter and Spring?
::
:: As much as I like leeks and Spring greens a bit more variety of fresh
:: greens would be nice at that time of the year.
::
: Broad beans, one variety of them comes in spring. I can't remember
: whether it's the "long" type, but Google will know.
:
: Broad beans have got to be my favourite veg.

Kale, purple sprouting broccolli and leaf beet

Is kale edible?

Is it ever. Flash fry it when it is less than 5 minutes off the plant
in the bacon fat for your Sunday morning fry up and then ask the
question again.

Bung a load of salt on it and a bit of tempura batter and use olive oil
and tell the tree huggers it is seaweed, half of them would not know the
difference. Better still to leave most of the salt out and enjoy its
rich flavour for what it is.

Some even claim it makes better bubble than sprouts but they never give
their real names.

At a push you could also go traditional and bung it in with the taters
and have them boiled with a nice steak and mushroom pudding and a decent
serving of gravy made from the water it was cooked in.

For novelty value, at the end of the kale season, you can collect the
flowing shoots just before they open and tell you customers they are
miniature broccoli. You need lots of plants for this one though.

Ultimately though any Brassica should be eaten as an accompaniment to
pigeon, for no other reason than the irony.

--
steve auvache
Sunny Essex

You've sold it! I'll see if I can get some seeds.
Your last paragraph made me chuckle - many moons ago I had a veg plot at my
father's farm, but all my greens got eaten by wood pigeons. So I staked out
the garden early one morning brandishing a shot gun and caught the blighters
in the act. I too enjoyed the irony. They ate my greens so I ate them!

David.