Old 27-06-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Algae in corners of pond

Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

What is the highest reading the pH on the strips goes to? If only 8.0, it
could be much higher. What is the % of salt currently in the water?

If there is not a problem with your fish, there is no need for salt...
unless you have a nitrite reading. The strips though are not the way to go
for reading that, just not reliable enough, plus they're pricey if using 1
or more/day.

Expired 3/06? They either are way out of date, or expired 3/07, which still
means expired. I highly recommend getting liquid test kits. American
Pharmaceuticals... Or better, easier, a tad more money, but you can buy
refills rather than the whole kit, Nutrafin/Hagen test kits. They're test
for Ammonia is instant read (no 5 minute wait), and only 1 bottle needed,
doesn't show ammonia when Amquel used. Get the Wide Range pH kit.

I haven't tried their Nitrite or KH kit, but I plan to switch entirely over
to their kits when next I purchase. Plus they have a very clear expiration
date printed on the box. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us