Old 28-06-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_11_] Reel McKoi[_11_] is offline

Default Algae in corners of pond

"George" wrote in message

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at 7.4
or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate levels
are 0.

The algae may be soaking it up.

If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of?

That's where it's probably going!

I think you may want to consider getting another nitrate kit and
re-testing the water. I'd also try to slowly get that Ph down. I'd
probably go ahead and clean the filter as well. Hope this helps.

My ponds are always over 8 and the plants thrive. If the plants start
looking puny I add a heaping Tbs. of Potash per 1000g. In days they perk
up. I read that here years ago. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.