Old 28-06-2007, 04:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default hOW BIG OF PUMP

In article ,
"George" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
news Thanks for the help, will go to 1-1/2" dia. tubing. I have a diverter
vlv
in there too that splits it up to two filters....

For this size pump, 1.5" should be fine.

George

"George" wrote in message

"Gordon" wrote in message
I would not go less than 1.5" and preferably 2"
Cheers

Gordon

"George" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 1200gph mag drive pump. My pond will be approx 1100gals,
is
this enough pump? what size tubing i should use.

It should be enough. I would make the tubing at least one inch in
diameter to maximize the flow and reduce backpressure.

George

My recommendation was a minimum diameter.

George

I've often wondered about all this. My 1200 GPH MagDrive pump has
basicallly a 1/2 or so stock nozzle (if I remember) I've got it stepped
up to 1" tubing to the filter. The pump was designed for 1/2 tubing.
Aren't they all at this size?

Hmmm, 1/2"? What brand and model? No they are not all that size. The
larger pumps have larger oulets, naturally. Mine is a larger pump. I'm
almost positive mine has a 1.25" output, because I ended up buying
expensive high pressure black flexible hose to fit it (I also wanted the
hose to last essentially forever, and I've got it installed inline between
my pre-filter and my biofilter). You might check to see if yours is
replaceable with a larger diameter nozzle (though it may not be if it is
part of the impeller housing). With less backpressure on the pump, it will
last longer and give you an optimum flow rate for the size of the pump.
But with your pump, it may not make any difference changing out the outlet.
What is more important is that there are no restrictions or reduction in
the hose diameter. It should get larger, not smaller. That's probably all
you can do.

George

I agree- need to lose the reduction to the waterfall.

An MGD12 Magdrive Pum @ 1265GPH

Looking at the spec sheet that came with it. Does have a 1" inlet
fitting. Outlet is smaller (no size on sheet and pump is submerged-not
pulling out to check...:-))