Old 28-06-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

On 28 Jun, 11:38, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
When I was young chicken was only available to the wealthy.

Indeed. We were priviledge - I felt - bourgeois commercants, known to
all and established in 1924 in a little town as the only electricity
shop for miles around. Chicken was the business, chosen by my grand ma
on the market, alive. They are still sold like this today - but I
can't kill them anymore, nor can I kill a rabbit. I've gone soft.

I bow to your
greater experience of what it tastes like these days, the only time we eat
it is if we cull a cockerel and then it really is special as well as
delicious. Why not eat game instead?

Yes - we do, guinea fowl (with apples yum yum), venisson, pheasant,
duck, quails, (for special occasion) but not turkey. I don't like it.

I don't know of anything else which tastes like real chicken :-)

Snake and ostrich.