Old 28-06-2007, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Pinching out freesias

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Does anyone happen to know why it is that pinching out the very tip of
freesia and gladiolus flowers causes them to open more fully? It's of

no
huge importance but I was doing it yesterday (wedding flower

arranging) and
suddenly realised I do it but don't know why! There must be some
'mechanism' in the plant that's triggered, perhaps?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Presumably the 'stopping' of a plant ensures that its energies are
concentrated on the production of flowers/fruit or side growths, as is
the case with tomatoes.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.