Old 28-06-2007, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Suggestions for Spring Veg?

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 28 Jun, 11:38, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
When I was young chicken was only available to the wealthy.

Indeed. We were priviledge - I felt - bourgeois commercants, known to
all and established in 1924 in a little town as the only electricity
shop for miles around. Chicken was the business, chosen by my grand ma
on the market, alive. They are still sold like this today - but I
can't kill them anymore, nor can I kill a rabbit. I've gone soft.

The reason why it was for the wealthy when I was young is because it was
wartime - I'm older than you!

I bow to your
greater experience of what it tastes like these days, the only time we
eat
it is if we cull a cockerel and then it really is special as well as
delicious. Why not eat game instead?

Yes - we do, guinea fowl (with apples yum yum), venisson, pheasant,
duck, quails, (for special occasion) but not turkey. I don't like it.

I don't think of turkey as game, not guinea fowl for that matter, it's
rarely reared for sport. I'd add to that list grouse (the queen of game
birds), rabbit (wild), hare, pigeon and probably other things I've
forgotten but which are in our freezer :-)

I don't know of anything else which tastes like real chicken :-)

Snake and ostrich.

Ostrich certainly doesn't, I've never had snake.

Mary

You've never had snake and kidney pudding?

David.